Friday, June 3, 2011

I've decided that I need to have goals for the next two years.  I"m really good about setting long term, or very short term goals... but not medium goals.  What I need to accomplish almost right now, but not before I die.
We are like the Majority of America and in debt.  With a capitol D. To the sum of about $12,000.  Not counting the house.  Or the car.  Or my student loans.  That is just straight credit card debt. 
I remember we we first got our first card.  We were so good about only using it if we really really needed it.  After Katrina visited out house, we needed it.  Had only the 7 days of clothes and meds that I was told to take when I evacuated, and I really didn't expect that the kiddo would never be able to go back to his home, or that we would be moved to DC by the AF.  But I regress, we were so good at just spending on it when we couldn't help it.
Then we moved to DC.  Everything was so expensive! I was only working part time so that I could go to school, and we wanted to explore, so we charged, and charged. 
Then we bought a house in sunny Florida when we got stationed here.  Does anyone really know what a house costs?  When you own, you are responsible for everything!  And you want to change everything so that it is yours, not the old guys...  So we spend and spend.  And we always had excuses for everything!  We NEED that!  We HAVE to go there!
Finally got the one card paid off when the baby hurt himself on the deck and we had to tear it up and make a new deck.  It was needed, just something that I was pushing back, farther and farther... so we wouldn't have to spend money that we didn't have. 
Ergo the new debt.  That must be gone when Hubby gets home in 2 years.  We are moving to Europe next and my goal is to go debt-free.  The car will be paid off, we should be able to get a renter so the house will pay for itself and well, school loans will also need to be taken care of, but I"m focusing on the credit cards.
And not buying anything not needed for reals.  No more collecting yarn either.  I"m on a yarn diet, spending diet and a food diet. 
Let the fun begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment